About Marie Uguay
Leisure & culture > Library > About Marie Uguay

About Marie Uguay

The name “Marie-Uguay Library” was chosen for the Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot public library when it opened in Carrefour Notre-Dame. Marie Uguay (1955-1981), née Lalonde, chose the name “Marie Uguay” in honour of her maternal grandfather, César Uguay, a Montréal violin teacher. Marie spent her summers at her grandparents’ cottage overlooking the river, at 40 Auclair Street, Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot. She had a talent for writing. She published two books of poetry, in 1976 and 1979, and joined the Union des écrivains québécois, not long after learning that she had bone cancer.

Her participation in La nuit de la poésie was an eye-opener. Shortly before her death, on October 25, 1981, filmmaker Jean-Claude Labrecque produced an intimate, moving documentary in which Marie Uguay bares her soul to journalist and writer Jean Royer. According to her final wishes, Marie Uguay was buried in the Sainte-Jeanne-de-Chantal cemetery, overlooking the river, beside her grandfather, César, on November 3, 1981, in Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot.
Marie Uguay is considered one of the greatest representatives of contemporary Quebec poetry. In March 1994 publisher Les Éditions du Noroît released a book of works by Marie Uguay entitled POÈMES.

Website: L’ÎLE—Marie Uguay (in French)