Urban planningUrban planning bylaws
Construction permits, certicates of authorization and the declaration de conformité des travaux
Before you do any work on your property, find out from the urban planning department whether or not you need to obtain a construction permit or certificate of authorization. The following is a partial list of construction projects that require a permit or certificate:
- Any new construction (for example a home, garage, tool shed or swimming pool)
- Any expansion of a main building or accessory building
- Moving or demolishing a main building or accessory building
- Most exterior or interior renovations, including adding or replacing doors, windows or walls, or finishing the basement
- Adding a granny suite
- Any land excavation or backfilling
- Any structures or work on a lakeshore, riverbank, littoral zone or floodplain
- The installation, modification or renovation of a sign
- Any change in the use of an office, commercial or industrial building, or other type of building
- Cutting down one or more trees.
Déclaration de conformité des travaux
Note that the Municipality has introduced the Déclaration de conformité des travaux [statement on compliance of construction work], a compliance monitoring tool for structures and accessory facilities considered to be low-impact. This mandatory statement is FREE OF CHARGE and must be completed by anyone wishing to build a fence, low wall, hedge, retaining wall, hot tub, porch, balcony, glass porch, patio, gloriette, pergola, residential greenhouse or parking space.
If you are unsure about whether or not you need a permit, please call 514-453-4128, and we will be pleased to assist you.
What is an online permit application?
As of March 2008 you can apply directly for a permit using the Municipality’s website, from the comfort of your own home. Simply go to Permis en ligne [Online permits]. You can also find out about the bylaws that apply to most projects by viewing the sections below or going to the Réglementation [Bylaws] page to view the complete bylaws. Take advantage of these services, which enable you to submit your application in a few clicks!